Healthy Birthday Cake
Author: Bettina Johnson
Recipe type: Cake
- 4 or 5 ripe bananas
- ¾ cup organic cinnamon apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cups (8 ounces) cream cheese (if you need to make more frosting, double the ingredients)
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) organic cinnamon apple sauce
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
- Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated. Beat two egg whites until you receive a cone when pulling out the whisk, fold in carefully the beaten egg whites.
- Spray your 8 or 9″round (6" pans are perfect for this) pans with non-stick cooking spray or coat with butter and flour.
- Spread the batter into the bottom of both pans.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Cool the cakes, then use an overturned 16oz glade storage round to cut out 4 small cake rounds.
- Prepare the frosting, add in between each layer 2 tbsp. of your cream cheese mixture. When all layers are stacked on top of each other, cover the cake with the remaining frosting and decorate as desired.
- Soften the cream cheese.
- Whisk the cream cheese with the apple sauce and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Decorate as desired!
I posted the original recipe with the layers, however I just baked mine in a 6" round pan. Which by the way I love, they are springform and make it super easy to take your cake out of the mold! Find them here, you won't be sorry! On another note, I know a lot of people were wondering why this alternative as oppose to the traditional sugar loaded cake. Honestly, I'm not a fan of cake in general so this cake sounded better to me, call me crazy. Also, since Pey had not been exposed to pure sugar yet I had no intention of possibly making her sick if she dominated the whole thing! I've seen babies puke from too much sugar too fast and I just wanted to avoid that. That being said, that doesn't mean it will be that way next year ;)